Monday, July 4, 2011

Riga

I had half a post about my Riga trip this past weekend typed out and then Blogger ate it (blasted laptop keyboard that's too small and makes me hit the wrong buttons). So instead, here are the highlights.



~Pelmeni are delicious. The world needs more pelmeni restaurants, particularly with the same low prices found in Riga (for pelmeni, that is...other things seemed a bit expensive).



~Art Nouveau architecture. Greek mythology on crack on a building. Lots of it.



~The Occupation Museum. It fascinates me how the Soviet Union lasted as long as it did being made up of such disparate countries. The Baltics seem quite different from Ukraine, and I assume that the Central Asian countries are also quite different.

~The Museum of the Latvian Popular Front. To quote Miranda, my travel buddy for the weekend, "You know you're a special kind of nerd when they have to unlock the museum for you."

~Just wandering around the Old Town.

Now to post this before Blogger eats it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment